Friday, May 6, 2011

Pink Saturday & floral still life paintings



I have been reading books and watching videos on floral still life painting. It's hard. I picked this pink, Chinese vase up at a garage sale today. It's cracked on one side. It looks like it broke and was glued back together. I will not, of course, paint the cracks in but I thought it was a pretty good deal ($1.50) for a pretty pink vase to use in my still life paintings. One of the artists/author of in of the books I ma reading (Patricia Moran) wrote that she has spent her art life trying to paint blue Chinese vases & how she worried the galleries would get tired of seeing them in her paintings. I understand. These kinds of vases are so pretty. There is a bunch of Chinese writing on the bottom of the vase in the same pink paint as what is painted on the sides. I don;t know what it says but I can't imagine it would be worht anything much all broken and glued back together, but boy is it going to look good in a painting. Oh, and despite all the cracks, It still holds water. I also found a Boggle game because, yes, I am that big of a geek. I was quite excited when I spotted it lying on the seller's table.  Sigh, I just LOVE garage sale season. Isn't it; fall, winter then garage sale season for the names of the seasons?
Happy Pink Saturday everyone. Get more of your, 'pink on' by visiting our hostess of Pink Saturday, Beverly at How Sweet the Sound.
How Sweet the Sound

15 comments:

Riet said...

That is a lovely vase . So nice for pink Saturday

Jil~Say It With Roses said...

I can see why you would grab this lovely oriental vase for a painting! When you have a painting completed with the vase, I hope you will share it with us!
Happy Pink Saturday and Happy Mothers Day!
Jil

Lynn said...

I have not seen a "pink" vase like this. Always the royal blue. Lovely for PS.

Jeanne said...

A beautiful still life opportunity. When will we see the painted vignette?

Hugs, Jeanne

Sarah said...

I can't wait to see your painting...and I agree about yard sale season!

HaPpY pInK sAtUrDaY!
Sarah

Emily said...

Oh my, the vase is so pretty. Perfect for your still life painting. I'm sure you'll be able to find a place to display it where the broken side is hidden. What a deal........I'm visiting over form Pink Saturday. Lovely blog too.

Have a great weekend
~Emily
The French Hutch

LV said...

You did the right thing in buying the vase. It can be fixed I am sure, and put to good use.

Jacalyn @ rmebathproducts.com said...

Love the vase! Good luck with your painting!

Happy PS,
Jacalyn

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Happy Pink Saturday Melissa Sweetie...
A gorgeous share today. I love your pink vase find. Even when they are cracked, they can still be loved. Isn't it wonderful what our eyes can sometimes see in beauty that others cannot? I can't wait to see your portraits sweetie.

Wow and a Boggle game as well. Hey you hit a little jackpot there. I love it. Thank you for sharing with me this evening. Have a beautiful weekend sweetie.

Many hugs and much love, Sherry

bj said...

I love this pretty vase. Have fun with it.:)
I am signing up to follow..come by to see me when you can.
xo bj

bj said...

oops, I can't find FOLLOW ME thing on your blog??

Pat said...

I'm looking forward to seeing how your painting turns out! Happy Mother's Day.

Antiques And Teacups said...

Really lovely...I would have picked it up as well....cracked or no. So much you can do with it! A still life with joie do vivre!
Ruth

Terri Morse said...

I can't wait to see your painting, Melissa! The vase is very pretty. I love the design on it. Have a great weekend! Terri

Sarah said...

I've rarely seen these Chinese vases in pink, but find them totally charming. Good find for your still life. Thanks for sharing. Happy Pink Saturday! ~ Sarah